- Yield: 8 cups
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
Caribbean stuffing casserole
Stuffing made with Caribbean Red® papaya along with Florida's starfruit and passionfruit may not replace the stuffing you put in the bird, but it's a nice second addition for the family that loves stuffing. Cooked passionfruit seeds add a nice crunch.
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 stalks of celery, tops and bottoms trimmed, chopped into 1/4
- 3 cups white wine
- 1 tbs cinnamon
- 1/8 cup fresh rosemary, chopped
- 3 tbs fresh sage, chopped
- 1 Caribbean Red papaya, peeled, cut into 1/2
- 4 Florida starfruit (seeds removed) sliced into stars
- 2 passionfruit
- 1 pkg. (8 oz.) dressing breadcrumbs (reserve 1/8 cup for topping)
- 1 tsp each salt and pepper
- nonfat cooking spray
Preheat oven to 350°.
In a large wok over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add the onion and celery. Sauté until the onion is golden, about 10 minutes.
Add 2 cups of the wine, cinnamon, rosemary and sage. Mix to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
Chop 3 of the starfruit into small pieces. Set aside slices from 1 starfruit.
In the wok, combine the papaya, starfruit pieces and the pulp of the passionfruit. Toss to coat. Cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. In the wok, place the breadcrumbs and the remaining cup of wine with the salt and pepper mixed in with it. Toss to coat.
Spray a 9"x12" baking dish. Scoop the stuffing into the baking dish. Top with the reserved 1/8 cup of breadcrumbs and starfruit slices.
Bake 25 minutes. Serve warm.