- Yield: 8
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
Cereal's bowl takes the day off
Give the cereal bowl a day off. Cereal can make a great pastry for tropical fruit tarts. Make that fruit tart with papaya, coconut and starfruit. Elegant, perfect for brunch - in taste and appearance. Make for company or for someone you're trying to encourage to eat healthier.
- Multigrain cereal - 2.5 cups
- Pecans, chopped - 1/2 cup
- Unsalted butter - 2 tbs
- Honey - 3 tbs
- Caribbean Red papaya - 1/4
- Fresh ginger - 1 inch
- Groovy Coconut - 1/8
- Lime - 1
- Vanilla yogurt - 2 cups
- Florida starfruit - 3
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place a cupcake paper liner in 8 cups of a muffin tin.
- Add the cereal and pecans to a food processor. Pulse until completely chopped. Add the melted butter and honey. Pulse until combined.
- Select a 1/4 cup measuring cup with a bottom that can fit inside the muffin tin cups. Scoop about 1/4 cup of the cereal mixture out of the food processor into the muffin cup. Use the bottom of the measuring cup to press the cereal mixture to the bottom of the lined muffin tin cup. Scoop another 1/4 cup of the cereal mixture into the cup and press onto the sides of the muffin tin cup. Repeat for the remaining cups.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Let cool. Gently peel the paper the paper liner off. Place on a serving plate.
- Peel and remove the seeds from a Caribbean Red papaya. Chop 1/4 into small pieces. Store the remaining papaya for another dish.
- Slice 1" off a hand of ginger. Peel with a knife or spoon. Add to the food processor and pulse to mince.
- Open a Groovy Coconut. Extract the white flesh. Place 1/8 of the fruit in a food processor and pulse to shred. Scoop out and put aside. Store the remaining coconut for another recipe.
- Put aside 3 tbs of chopped papaya and shredded coconut. In a medium bowl, add the remaining chopped papaya, ginger and shredded coconut, and the juice of one lime.
- Using an ice cream scoop, fill the scoop about halfway. Then scoop the yogurt into the individual pastry cup.
- Top with a slice of starfruit and sprinkle the remaining coconut and papaya.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Serve chilled.