- Yield: 20 rings
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 14 minutes
Coconut onion rings
- Groovy Coconut - 1/2
- Non-fat cooking spray
- Yellow onion, small sliced into rings - 1
- Almond meal - 1/2 cup
- Sea salt - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - 1 tsp
- Eggs - 2
- Lime - 1
- Ginger, fresh - 1 inch
- Open a Groovy Coconut, remove the shell. Add 1/2 to a food processor. Pulse until shredded into the smallest pieces possible. Reserve the other 1/2 for another recipe.
- Preheat oven to 400º. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, add 1/4 cup of the almond meal, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Stir to combine.
- With a spoon or veggie peeler, peel the ginger. Grate into a small bowl
- Separate the eggs, adding the egg whites to the bowl. Add the juice of one lime
- Set up a line with the egg whites and almond meal bowls.
- Take one ring at a time and coat first with the egg whites and then the almond meal. Place the onion ring on the baking sheet. Repeat for all the onion rings. At some point the almond meal will become too moist. At that point, empty almond meal bowl and repeat step 4 with the remaining almond meal, salt and pepper.
- With all the onion rings on the baking sheet, sprinkle with coconut.
- Bake for 8 minutes. Serve warm.