- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
Hong Kong papaya steam
In Hong Kong, specialty dessert vendors pop up everywhere. This is a popular, easy, nourishing treat. Who knew papaya and almonds would make such a match?
- Cut the Caribbean Red papayas in half across the middle. With a large spoon, remove and discard the seeds and any white flesh.
- In a large pot, add 2 cups of water. To stabilize the fruit, stand in ceramic or microwavable cups/bowls. Over medium-high heat, bring the water to a boil.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, add the almond milk and sugar. Stir until combined.
- Slowly pour the sugar-milk into the Caribbean Red papaya halves. Leave 1-to-2 inches at the top.
- Cover pot and continue steaming for 15 minutes. Add water if necessary.
- Using a dishtowel to shield your arms from the sides of the pot, use oven gloves to lift the papaya cups out of the pot.
- Sprinkle almond slivers over the tops and serve warm.