- Yield: 1 cup
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 13 minutes
Papayah! dessert topping
Add papaya to your dessert and it's papayah! Top any cake, bread, or cheesecake with chopped papaya. Scoop an easy-to-make ginger syrup and fresh coconut on top and you can forget about the mess and calories of icing. It's even easier if you bring home a pre-baked angel food or pound cake from the store to serve underneath this topping.
- Caribbean Red papaya - 1
- Groovy Coconut - 1/8
- Ginger - 1 inch
- Orange juice - 1/2 cup
- Cornstarch - 2 tbs
- Sugar - 1/2 cup
- Brown sugar - 1/2 cup
- Nutmeg - 1/2 tsp
- Brandy or vanilla - 1 tbs
- Angel food cake, pound cake or cheesecake - 1 whole cake
- Peel and remove the seeds from a Caribbean Red papaya. Chop into small pieces.
- Open a Groovy Coconut. Remove the white flesh and shred about 1/8 of the fruit. Store the remaining coconut for another dish.
- Cut off about 1" from a hand of ginger. Slice into thin rounds.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the orange juice and cornstarch.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add the cornstarch mixture and ginger rounds. Bring to a boil. Take out the ginger rounds, then gradually add the sugar. Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved. Add the brown sugar and nutmeg. Bring back to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer until sauce has thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the brandy or vanilla.
- Slice the cake into individual pieces. Add the papaya pieces on top. Scoop some of the sugar mixture over the papaya. Sprinkle the shredded coconut on top. Serve immediately.