- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
Star-studded fried rice
A one-pot meal that takes you to the other side of the world, this fried rice gets star treatment with starfruit adding a spectacular taste. Of course, fresh ginger does its job quietly but effectively in the background. Don't cheat and use the ginger spice -the process to turn ginger into a spice changes the taste dramatically.
- Ginger - 2 inches
- Florida starfruit - 2
- Sesame oil - 1 tbs
- Garlic cloves, minced - 2
- Onion, diced - 1
- Red bell pepper, chopped - 1
- Zucchini or cucumber, chopped - 1
- 90-second multigrain rice - 1 8-oz pkg
- Non-fat cooking spray
- Eggs - 2
- Limes - 2
- Soy sauce - 2 tbs
- Slice fresh ginger into 1/4" slices or rounds.
- Trim the ribs off the starfruit with a veggie peeler or knife. Cut it into 1/2" slices. Remove the seeds.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add the ginger, onion and garlic, and cook for 3 minutes. Add the red pepper and zucchini pieces, and cook until soft, 6 minutes. Remove the ginger slices.
- Add the starfruit. Stir until combined.
- Cook the rice as directed on the package.
- Move the ingredients in the skillet to one side. Spray the open area of the skillet with cooking spray. Break the eggs into the skillet. Scramble with a fork and cook 3 minutes. Combine with the skillet's other ingredients.
- Stir in the cooked rice, juice of two limes and soy sauce. Serve immediately.