- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
Guava, chicken and pasta salad
This guava sauce can be added to any pasta or chicken salad. Or you can simply top the meal's entree with this naturally sweet sauce. I always make sure to put aside one guava to slice up for topping or tossing with the sauce.
Make this sauce ahead of time. I would double it and use it at more than one meal, say to top breakfast waffles or to brush meat hot off the grill. That said, it's really makes this pasta salad shine.
- Red guavas - 5 small (golf ball-sized) or 3 large (tennis ball-sized)
- Olive oil - 2 tbs
- Garlic cloves, minced - 2 tsp
- Red onion - 1 small
- Rice wine vinegar - 2 tbs
- Honey - 2 tbs
- Chili powder - 1 tsp
- Red pepper, crushed - 1/8 tsp
- Pre-cooked chicken, sliced - 8 oz.
- Pre-cooked pasta, your choice - 8.5 oz. package
- Salt and pepper to taste
- With a veggie peeler, peel the guava. Reserving one guava for garnish, add the remaining guava to a blender or food processor. Pulse until relatively smooth.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add the vegetable oil and garlic. Saute for 2 minutes. Add the red onion and saute another 2 minutes.
- Add the vinegar, honey, chili powder and red pepper to the pan. Stir to combine.
- Add the guava mixture to a mesh strainer over the saucepan. Push the mixture thru. Discard the seeds. Stir to combine.
- Add the chicken and pasta. Cook for an additional 10 minutes or until heated throughout. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice up the remaining guava. Remove seeds with a spoon. Reserve for garnishing.
- Serve warm. Can be made ahead of time for tailgate parties and lunches.