- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
Starfruit under the broiler lights
Broiled starfruit all by itself is a treat. This recipe just makes it that much more special.
- 4 cups water
- 1 inch fresh ginger
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 anise stars
- 1 tbs honey
- 2 medium Florida starfruit
- Nonfat cooking spray
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- Broiled starfruit all by itself is a treat. This recipe just makes it that much more special.
- In saucepan over medium-high heat, add the water.
- Meanwhile, peel the ginger and slice into thin slices.
- Add the ginger, cinnamon, cloves and anise to the pan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add honey and stir until dissolved.
- Using a mesh strainer, strain the liquid into a medium bowl. Cool (about 20 minutes).
- Meanwhile, cut off the ends of the starfruit and trim the ribs with a veggie peeler. Cut into 1/2-inch star slices.
- Preheat the broiler and spray a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Place starfruit on the sheet and sprinkle brown sugar over them.
- Broil until the sugar bubbles and starts to brown, about 1 to 2 minutes. Flip them and broil another minute.
- Place stars into 4 individual bowls. Spoon the ginger broth over and into the bowl. Serve warm.