Black beans and papaya salad
In Miami, you not only love black beans but you have a favorite of all the cans of black beans that are in the grocery store. This recipe is great regardless of what can you reach for in the bean section of your grocers. This is easy to make and it's easy to make special with Solo papayas.
You also have three serving choices. Choosing is where it gets hard.
- Ginger, fresh - 2 inches
- Limes - 2
- Cilantro leaves - 1/3 cup
- Olive oil - 3 tbs
- Brown sugar - 2 tbs
- Chipotle powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Solo papayas - 2
- Black beans - one 15 oz. can
- Corn - one 8 oz. can
- Red pepper - 1 chopped
- Spinach, fresh - 1/2 to 2 cups, depending on the salad
- With a spoon or veggie peeler, peel the skin off of the ginger.
- Add the ginger, juice of 2 limes, cilantro, olive oil, brown sugar, chili powder, and salt to a food processor or blender. Pulse until smooth. Add to a large bowl.
- Drain the black beans and the corn. Add to the bowl along with the chopped red pepper. Toss gently to combine. Add the dressing and toss again to coat.
- Three serving options
- Solo stands alone
- Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours. Chill the Solo papayas also.
- To serve, cut the Solo papayas in half. Discard the seeds. Add about 6 spinach leaves to the rim of each Solo papaya halves. Add the black beans and corn salad. Serve immediately.
- Solo stands in the midst of spinach
- Scoop out the Solo papaya flesh. Discard the seeds. Put aside the skins. Chop the papaya and add to the large mixing bowl with the black beans and corn. Toss gently to coat.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- In another large bowl, add 2 cups of Spinach. Strain about 1/4 cup of the dressing from the other black bean papaya bowl. Add to the spinach bowl. Toss the spinach to coat.
- To serve, add spinach to a serving plate. Place the Solo papaya skin in the middle of the plate. Evenly divide the black beans, corn and papaya salad into the papaya skins.
- Everything's tossed together
- Scoop out the Solo papaya flesh. Discard the skins. Chop the papaya and add to the large mixing bowl with the black beans and corn. Toss gently to coat.
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- To serve, add 2 cups of spinach to the bowl. Toss gently to coat.
- Solo stands alone