- Yield: 4 cups
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
Boniato onion dip
Everyone knew the recipe: 1 package of dried onion soup mix and 1 container of sour cream. This no-effort party dip fell out of favor, but not because of flavor. Using an onion soup mix as a dip starter is still a great idea. Let's just change out the sour cream for some boniatos, the Cuban sweet potato. It's a tad more savory, perfect with the spicier chips now in favor.
- Over medium-high heat, add 3 cups of water to a large saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, using a veggie peeler, peel the skin off the boniato. Discard the skin. Cut into 2"-thick chunks.
- Add the boniato pieces to the boiling water. Bring back to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes or until the boniato can be pierced by a fork.
- Using tongs, add the boniato pieces to the bowl of a food processor. Add the whipping cream and the juice of 2 limes. Pulse until relatively smooth. Add additional whipping cream to achieve the texture you desire. Add the soup mix. Pulse until combined.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Serve as a dip for chips or as a spread for bread.