- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
Chicken and lychee in sweet and sour sauce
As a Chinese favorite, lychees are added to many recipes when in season. Lychees are often added to give a different taste and texture to a popular recipe such as a sweet and sour chicken main dish.
- lychees - 24
- tomato paste - 1-6 oz can
- water - 1 cup
- sugar - 2 tbs
- plum sauce - 2 tbs
- soy sauce - 2 tsp
- precooked chicken slices - 2-8 oz pkgs.
- canola oil - 3 tbs
- yellow onion, chopped - 1/2 cup
- fresh ginger, grated - 1 inch
- red bell pepper, chopped - 1
- black pepper - 1 tsp
- salt - 1/2 tsp
- cornstarch - 2 tsp
- scallions, thinly sliced - 3
- Peel the lychees, discard the seeds and chop into quarters.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomato paste, water, sugar, plum sauce and soy sauce. Add the lychees and the chicken to the sauce and marinate for 2 hours.
- In a large fry pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and ginger, and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add the red pepper and marinated lychees and chicken to the frying pan. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Pour the tomato sauce into the pan and bring to a boil. Add salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately on top of white rice and garnished with scallions.