- Yield: 8 servings
- Prep Time: 23 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
Chicken calabaza stew
In the Caribbean, calabaza is also a favorite stew served as a side dish or on top of rice for the main dish.
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1" of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (15 oz) can whole kernel corn (drained)
- 2 stalks celery, sliced into 1/4" pieces
- 1 lb or 1 1/2 cups baked calabaza, 1- to 2-inch chunks
- 1 9 oz package fully cooked chicken breast, chopped
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
In a large Dutch oven over medium heat, add the olive oil and ginger. Sauté for 3 minutes.
Add the onion, corn and celery. Sauté about 10 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
Add the calabaza, chicken vegetable stock, coconut milk, coriander and cumin to the Dutch oven. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
Serve over rice.