Toss the coffee cake aside; this tropical mix crumble cake is sweet, but not too sweet, for any break time or coffee klatch.
What I love about this recipe is that 6 cups of any tropical fruit will make it taste great. I don’t think I’ve ever duplicated the exact combination of fruit. So this dish has taken on a different taste every time I make it. Sometimes it’s more Caribbean, sometimes more Latin American, and sometimes just Floridian. All, however, are great!
- Yield: 8 servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
Tropical mix crumble
- Fruit mixture
- Groovy Coconut - 1/2
- Caribbean Red papaya - 1
- Passionfruit - 2
- Sugar - 1/2 cup
- Vanilla - 1 tbs
- Tapioca powder - 1/8 cup
- non-fat cooking spray
- Large egg - 1
- Coconut oil - 1/3 cup
- Cinnamon - 1 tsp
- Almond Flour - 1 cup
- Tapioca flour - 1/4 cup
- Sugar - 1/4 cup
- Starfruit - 1
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Open a Groovy Coconut and exact the white insides.
- Cut the coconut into large pieces and add to a food processor. Pulse until shredded. Add to a large bowl, reserving 3 tbs for the topping.
- Cut open a Caribbean Red papaya, and chop into small pieces. Add the chopped pieces to the large bowl. For an easy way to chop a papaya...
- Slice the passionfruit in half and scoop out the insides into the large bowl.
- Add the sugar, vanilla and tapioca powder to the large bowl. Stir to combine.
- Spray a 9x12 baking dish with non-fat cooking spray.
- Spread the papaya mixture out in the dish.
- In a medium bowl, scramble the egg. Add the coconut oil and cinnamon and stir to combine. Add the almond flour, tapioca flour and sugar. Stir to combine. It will be crumbly.
- Top the papaya mixture in the baking dish with the topping.
- Place the baking dish on a cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
- Trim the ribs of the starfruit with a veggie peeler. Slice into star-shapes. Discard the ends.
- Sprinkle the reserved coconut on top of the baking crumble and top with starfruit slices. Bake for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let stand 15-20 minutes before serving.