- Yield: 2 servings
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
Mamey spaghetti salad
Spaghetti squash makes great spaghetti. Mamey makes a great sauce to top it. It's mamey's savory, sweet taste makes it a great topper for a veggie/fruit side dish for any meal. Italians enjoy their spaghetti as a side; why don't you?
- Squash (spaghetti)
- Spaghetti squash - 2 1/2 lbs
- Salt - 2 tsp
- Mamey sapote - 1/2
- Dry white wine - 1/4 cup
- Water - 1/4 cup
- Anise - 1/2 tsp
- Ground cloves - 1/2 tsp
- Nutmeg - 1/2 tsp
- Cinammon - 1 tsp
- Parmesan cheese - 1/8 cup
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out and discard the seeds. Cut each piece in half lengthwise again.
- In a large pot with a steamer insert, place 6 cups of water and 1 tsp. salt. Over high heat, bring to a boil. Place the squash quarters in the steamer insert. Cover and steam for 20 to 30 minutes. Replenish water when necessary. It's done when you are able to make a dent in the flesh.
- Remove from heat; drain into a colander. Let cool.
- With a fork, comb strands from the squash into a refrigerator container. Keep removing strands until only the shell remains. Add 1 tsp. salt and toss. Cover the container and bring to room temperature. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- In a food processor, purée the mamey, white wine, water, anise, cloves, nutmeg and cinnamon. Process until smooth.
- Serve warm or chilled. Arrange the spaghetti squash on plates, and top with mamey sauce and cheese.