- Yield: 2 servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
Pancetta guava grilled sandwich
Two land formations jutting out in the sea must have common ground. Italy's pancetta meets up with south Florida' red guava to say it is so. This quick to make sandwich combines the best of both worlds. Guava adds the sweet and pancetta adds the salty meat that's melded together with the mozzarella. My grocery store carries pre-cooked crumbled pancetta which eliminates a step, making it even faster to make.
- Red guavas - 1/2 lb
- Pancetta, thin slices - 5
- non-fat cooking spray
- Butter - 1 tbs
- Multigrain bread - 2 or 4 large slices
- Mozzarella cheese, shredded - 1/4 cup
- Peel the guava. Slice into pieces discarding any seeds. Put aside.
- Chop or crumble the pancetta.
- Over medium heat, spray a medium sized skillet with cooking spray. Add the pancetta, cook for 2-3 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat. Scoop the pancetta into a bowl. Put aside.
- Brush one side of each slice of bread with butter. Add 2 slices to the skillet, butter side down. Split the cheese, then the pancetta, then the guava pieces between the two slices. Let the bread brown, about 2 minutes for a sandwich, 3 minutes for an open-faced sandwich.
- For a sandwich, add the top slices of bread, butter side up. Flip and cook and additional 2 to 3 minutes or until brown.
- Serve warm.