- Yield: 1 cup
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
Share the pesto! Starfruits may not be native to Italy, but don't let that stop you from adding a side salad of starfruit pesto to the night's lasagna, spaghetti or veal parmigiana. The meal doesn't have to be Italian to enjoy this recipe. Let starfruit pesto top the burger, steak or fish coming hot off the grill.
- Pine nuts - 1/3 cup
- Fresh ginger - 1 inch
- Basil leaves - 1/2 cup
- Lime - 1
- Parmesan cheese - 1/4 cup
- Extra virgin olive oil - 3 tbs
- Garlic cloves - 1 minced
- Kosher salt - 1/2 tsp
- Extra virgin olive oil - 1 tbs
- Starfruit from Florida - 3
- Preheat oven to 375º F. On a rimmed baking sheet, spread the pine nuts in one layer. Bake for 5 to 7 minutes or until golden. Let cool.
- Slice about 1" off a hand of fresh ginger. Peel off the skin with a spoon or knife.
- In a food processor, add the cooled pine nuts, ginger, basil, juice of one lime, cheese, olive oil, garlic and kosher salt. Pulse until combined. Add the additional olive oil to get the desired consistency. Scoop into a bowl, cover, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Trim the brown edges off of the starfruit with a veggie peeler or knife. Slice off the ends, then slice into individual stars. Remove any seeds.
- In a large bowl, add the starfruit slices and pesto. Toss gently. Refrigerate covered for at least 2 hours.
- To serve, toss gently. Serve as a side or topping the evening's entree.