Turkey, papaya, coconut and starfruit make a great salad. You can “make ahead” as an intro for the big turkey dinner or “make behind” for the meals after the big holiday. The luscious turkey leftovers enhanced with tropical fruit make delicious and easy dishes. All for the chef who needs a bit of a breather.
- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
Tropical turkey salad
Toss turkey, starfruit, papaya and coconuts for a great "leftover" meal.
- Caribbean Red® papaya - 1/2
- Groovy Coconut - 1/8
- Starfruit - 1
- Water - 1/2 cup
- Lime - 1
- Sugar - 1/3 cup
- Eggs - 6 yolks
- Turkey, shredded or cubed - 2 cups
- Peel the papaya. Discard the seeds. Chop into bite-sized pieces. Add to a large bowl, reserving the remaining papaya for another dish.
- Extract the coconut from the shell. Add ¼ to a food processor. Pulse into small pieces. Add to the large bowl and reserve the remaining coconut for another dish.
- Cut the starfruit into star-shaped slices. Poke out any seeds.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, bring the water to a boil. Add the juice of the lime. Gradually add the sugar and stir until dissolved. Reduce the heat to medium and add the egg yolks. Stir to combine. Cook until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Pour this mixture over the bowl of papaya, coconut, starfruit and turkey. Toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours. Can be refrigerated up to a week.