Baked string bean passion
Make any day special with this holiday favorite made easy and made with a tropical flair. Keep a passionfruit for topping the dish. This fruit has slightly different taste when raw and when baked. Cooked it helps to blend the different tastes being cooked. Its seeds also give some crunch partnering nicely with the green beans cooked to be crisp. As a raw topping, passionfruit adds a definite tropical taste to get the eater going.
- Green beans, trimmed - 12 oz microwavable package
- Olive oil - 2 tbs
- Fresh ginger - 2
- Passionfruit - 3, reserve 1 for the topping
- Limes - 2
- Kosher salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Baby bella mushrooms, slices - 8 oz
- Heavy cream - 1/2 cup
- Corn starch - 1 tsp
- French fried onion rings - 1 cup
- Remove any strings from the string beans. Cook as directed on the package.
- Over medium heat, add the olive oil to a wok.
- Slice 2" off of ginger. With a vegetable peeler, scrape off the skin. Saute for 3 minutes.
- Slice the passionfruit in half. Scoop out the insides and add 2 of the insides to the skillet.
- Add the juice of 2 limes, kosher salt, and black pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add the mushrooms, toss to combine. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the beans to the wok.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cream and corn starch. Add the cream to the bean mixture. Lower the heat to simmer about 7 to 10 minutes. The cream should thicken.
- Serve warm topped with French fried onion rings and the remaining passionfruit.