- Yield: 6 servings
The freshest catch of the day is transformed in this zesty fish soup. Crusty bread, a green salad and a simple dessert are all you need to complete the meal.
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Brooks fresh ginger root, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 Brooks chayote squash, peeled and diced
- 1 Brooks malanga, peeled and diced
- 3 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 bunch cilantro, finely chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tbs fresh Brooks lime juice
- 8 ounces starfruit wine or dry white wine
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups clam juice
- 18 baby clams, scrubbed
- 12 mussels, scrubbed
- 1 pound mixed firm-fleshed fish (red snapper, yellowtail, tuna, or monkfish), cut into 2-inch pieces
- 8 ounces scallops
- 12 ounces shrimp, peeled, deveined, tail on
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
Stir in onion, garlic, and ginger root.
Cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
Add carrot, chayote, malanga, tomatoes, cilantro, bay leaves, and lime juice.
Simmer until blended, about 8 minutes.
Add wine, chicken broth, and clam juice and bring to a boil; lower heat to medium and add clams and mussels to the broth.
Simmer until clams and mussels open, 5 to 7 minutes; discard any that have not opened.
Add mixed fish, scallops and shrimp and simmer 4 minutes longer or until shrimp are bright pink and scallops and fish are firm.
Season with salt and pepper.