- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
Caribbean eye veggie salad bowl
This is an eye-catching salad with bright colors and interesting "bowl." I've served this and forgot the dressing until the halfway eating point. Everyone raved regardless, then raved again after drizzling some dressing over the top. It's fun to eat. You don't say that about veggies very often.
You have two options with this recipe. One is to serve a Caribbean Red® papaya half as a bowl with veggie gelatin inside. The other option is to horizontally slice the papaya into circles and fill the centers with the veggie gelatin before the final set.
- For the dressing:
- 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tbs sugar
- 2 tbs ketchup
- splash of hot sauce
- 2 tbs scallions, chopped
- For the salad:
- 1 3-oz. pkg orange gelatin
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 4 oz. of carrot, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 Caribbean Red papayas
For the dressing:
1. In a medium bowl, combine all of the ingredients. Cover and refrigerate.
For the salad:
- Prepare the gelatin as directed on the package. Cool and let set as directed. Before completely set, add the celery, carrots and red pepper.
- Cut the papayas in half horizontally. Scoop out the seeds and any white flesh.
- Serving options
- Using a Bundt pan, stand the papaya halves up with cut side up. Fill with slightly set veggie gelatin. Or...
- Cut the papayas horizontally into 2" thick circles. Fill the centers with slightly set veggie gelatin.
- Let set in the refrigerator. Let any leftover gelatin set in a rectangular bowl or pan.
- Cut leftover gelatin into squares and use to top papaya fruit bowls or fruit slices. Serve drizzled with dressing.