- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
Guava and passionfruit shrimp cocktail sauce/dressing
Love shrimp but tired of ketchup-based cocktail sauce? Go guava with a kick of passionfruit. This fruit-based cocktail sauce is great to dip the shrimp in. I love it also as a salad dressing. Double the recipe to use as both a cocktail sauce and salad dressing.
- Cocktail sauce and dressing
- red guavas (about 1/2 cup purée) - 3
- passionfruit - 2
- fresh ginger - 1/4"
- olive oil - 1/4 cup
- salt - 1/2 tsp
- lime - 2
- Romaine lettuce, cut into bite-sized pieces - 16 oz
- seasoned croutons - 1/2 cups
- Parmesan cheese, grated - 2 tbs
- precooked medium-sized shrimp, peeled and deveined - 12
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, place 4 cups of water. While bringing the water to a boil, wash and peel the guava. Cut off the ends. Cut in half around the middle, and cut in half again. Add to the water in the saucepan. Add enough water to cover. Keep at a slow boil for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and drain.
- Place in a food processor. Pulse until smooth. Using a fine sieve, push the guava through the sieve. Discard the seeds.
- Cut the passionfruit in half. Scoop out the flesh and place in the food processor.
- Peel the fresh ginger with a spoon or vegetable peeler and add to the fruit in the food processor.
- Add the olive oil, salt and the juice of one lime to fruit in the food processor. Purée.
- Place the guava back in the food processor. Combine. Scoop into a sealable container. Refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- In a large bowl, combine the lettuce, croutons and cheese. Pour 3/4 of the dressing/sauce on top, and toss to coat. Serve the other 1/4 on the side for shrimp dipping.
- Divide the salad and shrimp evenly between plates. Serve immediately.