- Yield: 6 servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
Nutty Boniato Salad
Please note that this recipe gets its nuttiness from the boniatos. Try this tropical sweet potato! You'll enjoy it with a lot less butter than the average sweet potato because there's much more flavor. Hot or cold, this is a perfect make-ahead dish for the holidays.
- 2 lb boniatos
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tbs fresh oregano
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 scallions, thinly chopped
- 3 tbs fresh chives, chopped
- 3 tbs red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbs maple syrup
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbs butter, melted (optional)
- Peel the boniatos and cut into bite-sized chunks. Place in a large microwavable bowl. Add the olive oil and gently toss to coat.
- Microwave on high for about 10 minutes (or until it feels like a baked potato).
- Peel the ginger and shred into small pieces.
- To make the dressing, add the ginger and remaining ingredients* to a medium-sized bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Add the dressing to the boniato bowl. Toss gently to coat. Serve immediately for the hot salad option. Refrigerate 2 hours for the chilled option.
* If you're a first-time boniato eater, taste before adding the butter. You might like it better without. I have family members who must have their starches drenched in butter, so I add butter to theirs.