There’s “make ahead” for the big turkey dinner, and then there’s “make behind” for the meals in the days after Thanksgiving, when the luscious turkey leftovers can be used to create easy dishes for the chef who needs a bit of a breather.
- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
Turkey papaya coconut salad
- Caribbean Red papaya - 1/2
- Groovy Coconut - 1/8
- Starfruit - 1
- Water - 1/2 cup
- Lime - 1
- Sugar - 1 cup
- Egg yolks - 6
- Turkey meat, shredded or cut into bite-sized pieces - 2 cups
- Peel the papaya. Discard the seeds. Chop into bite-sized pieces. Add to a large bowl, reserving the remaining papaya for another dish.
- Extract the coconut from the shell. Add ¼ to a food processor. Pulse into small pieces. Add to the large bowl and reserve the remaining coconut for another dish.
- Cut the starfruit into star-shaped slices. Poke out any seeds.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, bring the water to a boil. Add the juice of the lime. Gradually add the sugar and stir until dissolved. Reduce the heat to medium and add the egg yolks. Stir to combine. Cook until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Pour this mixture over the bowl of papaya, coconut, starfruit and turkey. Toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours. Can be refrigerated up to a week.